Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mother's Day


This is a week late, but I've been busy being a mom!  I always have mixed feelings on Mother's Day.  I always want to do a ton of things for my mom to show her how wonderful she is (and then end up running out of time for most, if not all of them), but on the other hand I really don't like holidays to 'make' you be nice to someone once a year.  I would much rather have something nice done for me on some random date to say 'I love you' or 'Thank You' just because.  Not because there are 100 different cards to choose from at the store for that particular holiday.  Being a mom can be a pretty thankless job, but it's the best job out there.

On Mother's Day, our bishop came in to speak to the women.  He talked of how we know how important mother's are because of Christ's example. One of the last things He did was to make sure His mother was taken care of. 'Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold they mother! And from that hour that disciple took her into his own home." (John 19:25 - 27).  He only said two things after this - 'I thirst' and 'It is finished'.  If the last thing Christ did on earth was to make sure his mother was taken care of - how much does that teach us of how important mothers are?  They gave us life.  For that alone we should honor our mothers.

My mother is a wonderful example of service.  She always wants to help those around her.  I remember making a ton of cookies every Christmas and delivering them and sometimes standing for what seemed like forever while she talked to those that needed some companionship.  She sacrificed quite a bit to try and make our home one me and my sister's would feel comfortable in despite circumstances that weren't ideal.  Everyone that comes in contact with her knows what a wonderful woman she is.  Even during my teenage years when I didn't think she understood a single thing about life, I was reminded by my best friend's dad of all the wonderful things she did in the community. She didn't mind getting silly with us.  We had many nights of laughter. She wasn't afraid to start helping someone she saw that had a need when she had no idea what she needed to do.  She just knew they needed help and she was going to try and help.  I love my mom.  The older my own kids get, the more I appreciate her (and feel the need to apologize for a lot of my behaviors).  She is a wonderful lady that anyone who meets her is blessed. Here are some pictures of her as my own little 'tribute'.

 

What a cute little girl!


Senior picture


One of her favorite loves.

(Putting this together made me realize I need to scan a lot more pictures - I don't have that many of my mom on the computer)


Love you mom!





No comments: